Anyone who read any kind of of the piece I’ve created for Thought magazine knows that i have, um, a background with problem abuse. I’ve done crack, cocaine, heroin, meth, acid, mushrooms, ketamine — well, the list is pointless. The point is the of all these drugs that ns did — and also quit making use of — the hardest of every to battered was cigarette smoking cigarettes. For that reason, if you’re a smoker, some of the points I list below will more than likely not seem that disgusting. However, as soon as you quit, if you do quit, you’ll view just how gross these behaviors are.
1. Simply smoking.
You are watching: How to dry a wet cigarette
and also smoking and also smoking and also smoking. Usually, as a an outcome of inebriation I would chainsmoke. Package disappeared. I retained buying, and also I kept smoking. ~ a couple of days the that, when I’d come turn off a bender, the advice of mine index and also middle fingers, and my ignorance on mine left hand were tinted yellow (also, no necessarily smoking related, ns don’t think, however when you’re every messed up choose this it’s difficult to save your fingernails clean, so there was always a scrim of black underneath them), my hair reeked. I always thought it was the drugs and/or alcohol that made me smoke prefer that. However I’ve known human being who chainsmoke and also who hardly ever touch a drop of booze. That’s just how grossly powerful the tug is.
2. Cigarette smoking a cigarette first thing in the morning. yes nothing favor waking up after a night the end at the bar through your buddies, or fighting through your bipolar girl friend till the allude that you to speak “f-ck it” and ditch her and also buy the day’s second pack of cigarettes ~ the gram of coke you additionally purchased in your offering up in life, and after cigarette smoking all however three smokes in the pack, and also you find the an initial of those three and light up. Her lungs are already wheezing. Friend cough, hock a brownish loogie flecked through black, occasionally with blood. Girlfriend haven’t brushed your teeth in a few days. That’s one good cigarette.
3. The airport smoking cigarettes lounge. This is a dank and also depressing hovel collection away from typical people and filled v reeking rows of airport seating spanned with pleather that has actually cured in the nicotine-drenched carbon monoxide atmosphere. There are air conditioners and “smoke eaters” running, yet they execute no an excellent for the number of smokers huddled in this tiny room. If there space plants in this room to “cheer the joint up,” the plants are dead or dying. V the haze of acting one might try to make the end the photos on the television that floats what overhead. The worst point to see in a smoking cigarettes lounge is families: mothers and fathers shushing their kids while said kids attempt no hope to entertain us in this toxic environment while mom and also dad gain their nic fix. You can imagine what this parents might look like; lock look precisely what you will do think parents that take their children into the smoking lounge watch like: yes sir a many tanktops and/or muscle shirts and also jean cutoffs and also tattoos the Calvin pissing, or that Yosemite Sam flaunting his pistols complete with the “Stay Back!” epitaph. Both these type of tattoos can likewise be discovered as stickers on these parents’ vehicles. Below I to be describing this v chagrin while there ns sat, smoking cigarettes my very own cigarettes, in the haze the was mine drug-addled brain, and also usually this parents would start talking come me and, in ~ the time, I’d think they were pretty cool in the end. The 2nd worse thing to see is the old people, some of them carting oxygen tanks in those wheeled carts, and also sucking their cigarettes while the tubes operation from the tank to your nose. I’d watch these negative souls and also hope that ns wouldn’t ever before be among them while i smoked myself right into not caring around my i can not qualify to north up the willpower to shot to save myself alive.
4. Sharing cigarettes through strangers. ns at the bus avoid one day, and also I’ve operation out of smokes, and I’ve gained a 30-minute ride come work, which happens to it is in in an area whereby I’ll must walk a half-mile to the gas station where I deserve to buy a new pack. Yet there’s a young woman, in fact, native this street she doesn’t appear to be too poor looking, and she’s smoking a cigarette. So ns approach, asking if I deserve to bum one. Alas, it’s her last. However she cordially provides to re-publishing this last and already lit cigarette with me. Prior to I go on, permit me define that i am maybe recently awakened from part night sucking under Jaegermeister till i did some an elaborate walking, and also I’m not rather the fresh face myself. However it’s only as soon as I sit alongside this mrs on the bus station bench and she passes me the cigarette, the butt a little moist from her lips or she tongue or both, and also as I’m acquisition a few drags I check out her teeth, numerous of i m sorry are lacking or in a state that decay. She’s additionally one the those people whom you realize that when they talk, gobs of spit and also mucus group up in the corners whereby her lips meet. She’s acquired a major overbite. She proceeds to tell you that she’s waiting for the bus that will certainly take she to a project interview, her very first in 18 months. She just acquired out of jail.
5. Share cigarettes through friends. all of the above details are practically exactly the very same with the exception of having already been fine acquainted v the human with whom ns was smoking.
6. Role yr own. i don’t typical with Bugler, or Bali Shag. I median that the 3 a.m. And you’ve run out that cigarettes, however you’re quiet a small drunk, or perhaps you’re tripping or gacked or something, but you’ve acquired ashtrays full of butts and, happy for you, you a medicine user, therefore rolling papers are always within reach. Part jackass when told you the it was good for her plants if you placed your butts right into the soil, and also you want a cigarette bad enough come retrieve also these molding spent cigs, transforming some shade between green and also blue. Girlfriend crack every these open right into a heap that stinking, mostly burnt tobacco that you roll into new cigarettes. This tastes specifically how friend imagine it could taste. The tastes choose shit, if shit tasted favor previously smoked, multi-day-and-in-some-cases-multi-week-and-month-old cigarette tobacco. But you nothing care; you’ve obtained your acting now and afterward you can pass out and later wake and, there is no showering or brushing your teeth, walk to the Texaco for a new pack.
7. Smoking butts uncovered on the ground or in windy ashtrays. At the very least I had actually smoked many of the butts I found in the ashtrays and also in mine planters around my apartment. But there were too plenty of times when I discovered myself under to my critical 10 dollars and also I did what any type of sensible alcoholic would perform with the money: I checked out the bar. In ~ the bar where I kicked it, PBRs to be a dollar, therefore that meant 10 beers (sorry, no tip). And also what to perform for smokes? i bummed some, however when that had actually run its course I returned to scavenging the bar ashtrays. Periodically I’d take that little bit that money to the convenience keep for forties, and also then, if drinking and also walking ago to mine apartment, i scoured the sidewalks because that butts that had at the very least a centimeter of unsmoked tobacco remaining. Anything an ext than a centimeter was a far-ranging score. Ns remember mine buddy Mike as soon as exclaiming ~ above a simply half-smoked sidewalk cigarette, “Hell yeah!” and we shared that. So combine this class of gross v layer #5 above.
8. Drying out wet cigarettes. I’ve excellent this, yes: jumped into the lake and, whoops, cigs tho in bag (along v wallet, lighter, keys, etc.). I’m that kind of idiot. I’m additionally the type of idiot who’s like, ns ain’t letting this complete pack of smokes go to waste. For this reason I set them in the sun, dried castle out, and smoked them. They tasted choose algae-flavored cigarettes.
9. Accidentally drink from a beer-turned-ashtray.
See more: Eisenhower Middle School San Antonio Texas, Eisenhower Middle School (2021
i think civilization have portrayed this happening in movies. I’m not sure around that though. However I’ve excellent it. Those worse is not realizing that’s what’s occurred until a couple of drinks in. What wake up is you choose up a beer friend think is yours, or the party’s ended and there aren’t any beers left, yet you just really need one and you hunt up half-drunk beers littering the coffee tables. That first sip is simply a tiny flat, or at the very least that’s every you notice. Climate you recognize a strange, almost metallic flavor. By the moment you take the sip the brings the cigarette butt(s) come the beer can’s opening, where it comes up versus your lips, perhaps your teeth, and you finally realize those going on, you’ve likewise realized that that odor is of already-smoked-cigarette. I have thrown up since of this. Ns have likewise not thrown up and also continued in my quest for part-drunk beers the did not end up being ashtrays.
10. Relapsing. ns quit smoking and doing drugs since I got worn down of the life, and also I to be lonely, and I knew the if I wanted to accomplish a girl the the marrying kind I was unlikely to uncover her in the bar crowds that i ran with. I stopped going come bars therefore often. When I met my wife I was “smoke free.” Those quotation marks room there because, prefer I said, i’ve never had actually so lot trouble quitting anything prefer I had trouble quitting nicotine. Every when in a while — favor at mine brother’s wedding, where I ran into some of mine childhood friends that smoked — I’d bum a cigarette, smoke all or half of it, and disgust myself in the process.
I hate to sound every preachy, like, i quit, and also you’re a loser for not seeing just how gross the habit is. What I average is the I recognize the pull the tobacco has on someone who been making use of it for part time. And because i have felt that, I’m additionally able to see what stupid and also gross things that pull made me do. Ns in no “higher” a place for having actually quit. Ns still feeling cigarettes tugging at my will. I tend to remain out of areas that enable smoking, since a few drinks in I start to crave them, and also with the alcohol i feel my willpower not correct away. I’m an extremely weak person. If I just think about the dumb and gross things I’ve done and also could execute again, perhaps I’ll do this not smoking cigarettes thing stick.