1. Observe the dorsal and also ventral sides of the frog. Dorsal side color ___________ Ventral side color ____________
2. Examine the hind legs. How numerous toes are current on every foot? ______ room they webbed? _____
3. Examine the forelegs. How numerous toes room present? ________Are the toe webbed? _______
4. Usage a ruler to measure your from the tip of the head come the finish of the frog"s backbone. To compare the length of your frog to various other frogs
Your Frog (cm)
5. Find the frog"s eyes, the nictitating membrane is a clean membrane the attached come the bottom that the eye. Use tweezers to carefully remove the nictitating membrane. Friend may likewise remove the eyeball.
What shade is the nictitating membrane? _____________ What shade is the eyeball? _________________
6. Just behind the eye on the frog"s head is a one structure referred to as the tympanic membrane. The tympanic membrane is provided for hearing. Measure the diameter (distance throughout the circle) that the tympanic membrane. Diameter of tympanic membrane = ___________cm
7. Feel the frog"s skin. Is it scaly or is it slimy? ____________
Anatomy that the Frog"s Mouth
Pry the frog"s mouth open and also use scissors to cut the angles of the frog"s jaws open. Cut deeply so the the frog"s mouth opens broad enough to check out the frameworks inside.
1. Find the tongue. Play through the tongue. Walk it connect to the front or the back of the mouth? __________ (You may remove the tongue). Draw a lay out of the tongue, paying fist to the shape.
2. In the center of the mouth, toward the back is a single round opening, the esophagus. This pipe leads come the stomach. Use a probe to poke right into the esophagus.
3. Close come the angle of the jaw are two openings, one on each side. These space the Eustachian tubes. Lock are used to equalize press in the inner ear if the frog is swimming. Insert a probe into the Eustachian tube.
To what framework does the Eustachian tube attach? _____________________
4. Just behind the tongue, and also before you with the esophagus is a slit prefer opening. (You might need to usage your probe to acquire it to open up). This cleft is the glottis, and it is the opening to the lungs. The frog breathes and also vocalizes v the glottis. Use your probe to open up the glottis and also compare that opened to the esophagus.
5. The frog has two sets of teeth. The vomerine this are found on the roof of the mouth. The maxillary teeth are found around the leaf of the mouth. Both are supplied for hold prey, frogs swallow their meals whole and do not chew. Run you finger over both set of teeth and note the differences in between them.
6. ~ above the roof the the mouth, you will discover the two tiny openings of the nostrils, if you put your probe into those openings, girlfriend will uncover they leave on the outside of the frog.
7. Label each of the structures underlined above.
You are watching: Organ found within the mesentery that stores blood
The frog"s reproductive and also excretory system is combined into one system dubbed the urogenital system. Friend will require to recognize the structures for both the male and also female frog
Kidneys - flattened p shaped organs located at the lower earlier of the frog, close to the spine. They are frequently a dark color. The kidneys filter wastes from the blood. Often the height of the kidneys have yellowish stringy fat bodies attached.
Testes - in male frogs, these organs are situated at the peak of the kidneys, they room pale colored and also round.
See more: How Tall Is 40 Inches In Ft In 40 Inches? Convert 40 Inches To Feet
Oviducts - females do not have actually testes, despite you might see a curly structure roughly the outside of the kidney, these room the oviducts. Oviducts room where eggs room produced. Males can have frameworks that look similar, but serve no yes, really purpose. In males, lock are referred to as vestigial oviducts.
Bladder - An empty sac situated at the lowest part of the body cavity. The bladder shop urine.
Cloaca - stated again as component of the urogenital device - urine, sperm and eggs leave here.
Label the components of the urogenital system.